Not all of us can plant trees but ALL of us can definitely do our share in saving our planet. Here are 20 simple steps to green living:
CONSERVE, REDUCE, CUT-DOWN, SAVE!
1. CONSERVE ENERGY, by improving your home’s ventilation. Take advantage of the sunlight in the morning and let the breeze in with spacious windows.
3. Shut down your PC at bedtime. Instead of leaving the computer on, with the “AWAY” or “IDLE” status in your messenger, shut it down while you sleep.
4. Unplug un-used electrical devices. Turning off the TV, PC, or electric fan off isn’t enough. When the cables are plugged in the power source, a bit of energy is still in use.
5. NEVER LEAVE your cellphone chargers plugged in. When you’re done charging your phones, don’t forget to unplug it from the source.
6. SAVE WATER, by turning off the faucet while brushing your teeth or the shower while soaping, scrubbing or shaving.
7. REDUCE POLLUTION by disposing your garbage RESPONSIBLY.
8. QUIT SMOKING!
9. Whenever possible carpool with friends, ride the bus or better yet- ride your bike instead of taking the car!
10. Skirts, jackets, and jeans can be worn twice or even thrice if you did not wear them the whole day. Hang them properly for another day and cut down your week’s laundry by half.
11. Maximize the use of your garbage bag! Instead of just tossing milk boxes, candy wrappers, and sachets in your trash bin, fold or knot them and make them as small as you can so they won’t occupy a big space.
12. If you must, use only biodegradable plastic bags!
13. Buy products that are environmentally-friendly!
RECYCLE! RECYCLE! RECYCLE!
- biscuits, soft drinks and ice cream containers or milk cans, can be used as pots for your garden.
- Labels on jeans, bags and clothing can become bookmarks!
- Old newspapers can used for a variety or art crafts!
- Shoe boxes for extra storage.
- The water you used for rinsing your laundry can still be used for cleaning the toilet or car washing.
GROW YOUR OWN LITTLE GARDEN!
20. Don’t throw away egg shells and potato peels. Pound them in small bits and mix it with your garden soil for instant organic fertilizers.
Bring Your Own REUSABLES:
15. Green Bag. When going to the market, groceries or thrift shops, save a dozen of plastic bags with all the things you can stuff in your green bag.
16. Spoon & Fork. Instead of using plastic, disposable utensils, bring your spoon & fork everyday to school or to work, and wash them when you get home.
17. Refillable Mug. Whether you prefer coffee or hot chocolate in the morning, just ask for a refill. You save 30 disposable cups in a month – 365 disposable cups in a year – and that’s if you
only drink coffee once a day!
18. Refillable Bathe Essentials. Some shops like The Body Shop sells refillable containers for shampoo, conditioner, and bath gels. Aside from doing your share to save the environment, refills are offered at a discount.
What’s your own way to go green? Please share it by leaving a comment!~