But did you know that:
“154,574 tons of paper wastes were disposed of at the landfill in 2006”? (your.kingcounty.gov)
“Recycling one ton of recyclable paper saves 3,700 pounds of lumber and 24,000 gallons of water.” (your.kingcounty.gov)
“Every ton of paper recycled saves more than 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space” (paperrecycles.org)
“About one fifth of the contents of household dustbins consist of paper and card, of which half is newspapers and magazines. This is equivalent to over 4kg of waste paper per household in the UK each week.” (wasteonline.org)
“The American Forest & Paper Association has set a goal of 60 percent recovery by the year 2012.” (earth911.c0m)
“It almost always takes less energy to make a product from recycled materials than it does to make it from new materials. – Energy Information Administration (EIA)
Why Recycle Paper?
- conserve energy
- conserve our natural resources
- prevent the emission of many greenhouse gases and water pollutants
- reduce the need for new landfills
- create more jobs
Here’s a timely guidefrom the Natural Resources Defence Council (NDRC) on buying home tissue products from manufacturers that support the environment through 100% recycling. The next time I shop from the grocery, I’ll make sure to look for the right brand. I just hope there are local manufacturers in the Philippines that support 100% recycling. I was surprised to learn that Kleenex is one brand to avoid.
Recycled Paper Craft from Ten Thousand Villages
And of course, I searched Etsy for handmade products made out of recycled paper and I am amazed at the all the beautiful creations of these artistic Etsy sellers.
journal; buttons stitched on paper
Poetry Jewellery by Jane Alexandra Cormack
earrings and necklace made from re-cycled business cards
eco-friendly paper jewelry by squishi sushi
Beautiful Recycled Paper by Artspell
papier mache bowl; paper bead bracelet; papier mache jar, paper pear earrings; paper bead necklace; scissor bowl; recycled cardl paper machie art jar
I am inspired to do my own recycled paper project. Aren’t You?
- a step by step video on how to recycle old paper and turn them into new
- the how-to’s on creating Origami (Japanese art of paper folding) out of old magazines
- a Phillippine shop that sells handmade paper recycling kit
- Visit www.recyclenow.com and enter your zip code to find out the nearest recycling bank near you.
- Call The Yellow Pages Directory Recycling Scheme freephone recycling helpline at 0800 671 444 for advice on where and how to recycle old Yellow Pages directories.