All of us want to have healthy, glowing skin. Beautiful skin makes a person look younger and attractive. More importantly, healthy skin protects us from unwanted elements and keeps our internal organs healthy as well. How can you maintain a beautiful, healthy skin? Here are 10 easy steps:
1. Watch what you eat. Healthy skin should start from the inside. Fiber-rich food should be a large part of everyone’s diet. Fiber promotes the elimination of toxins from the body, does making skin healthy and glowing. Fresh fruits and vegetables must always be included in every meal. Wheat bread is a good substitute for white bread and a bowl of cereals or oat meal for breakfast is always welcome.
2. Exercise. Some people overlook the importance of physical activity especially those with busy but inactive lifestyles. Exercise greatly improves blood circulation and keeps muscles, bones, internal organs and skin healthy. If you spend most of your time sitting in front of your computer, better take a break for a few minutes of exercise and relaxation. Stretching, brisk walking or running on the treadmill at least 15 to 30 minutes a day will make a big difference in your life.
3. Replenish liquids in the body. Drinking water at least eight to ten glasses a day will not only prevent skin dryness, it also helps the liver and kidneys function better. Be sure to drink plenty of water especially when doing exercise or strenuous activities to avoid dehydration. Watch your water intake too during the colder season when you don’t feel thirst at all. Replenish your body with water and drink fresh fruit juices as well.
4. Exfoliate your skin. Our skin needs exfoliation at least twice a week to get rid of dead skin and eliminate clogs on our pores. Body scrubs with grains are a great help in exfoliating the skin. Just make sure that you don’t use body scrub in your face where skin is thinner and a lot more sensitive. You don’t always have to buy expensive body scrubs in the market. You can also use homemade exfoliating scrubs made from natural food ingredients like sugar and oatmeal mixed with oil.
5. Cleanse, Tone and Moisturize. When it comes to facial care, the three step-step regimen is a must. Cleansing, Toning and Moisturizing is a daily ritual you should never forget for your face. Use a mild facial cleanser to get rid of dirt. Afterwards, gently apply toner on your face and neck. Finish it up with a moisturizer to replenish lost moisture before you sleep.
6. Have enough sleep. Stress can really add years to your real age. Sleeping at least eight to ten hours a day is the best way to revitalize the skin. Sufficient rest and sleep will also improve your mood and vitality.
7. Stay out of too much sun. Exposing your skin under the sun’s harmful rays can greatly damage the skin. If you must go out, don’t forget to apply sunscreen. Make sure that your lotion or moisturizer has at least 30 to 45 sun protection factor (SPF) to block out the UVB rays from the sun. However, just because you’ve applied a sunscreen doesn’t mean you can stay under the sun for long hours. Remember sunblocks do not have the ability to block UVA rays, which are also harmful to our skin. Re-apply sunscreen every 30 minutes. For added protection, wear shades, hat or bring an umbrella.
8. Never sleep with your make up on. However tired you may feel at the end of the day, never go to bed without removing your make up. The skin rejuvenates at night and if you have your make up on, it will not be able to breathe properly. As a result, your skin may break out and your pores will get clogged.
9. Take your vitamins. Health supplements help the body stay strong and rejuvenate the skin. Antioxidants Vitamins A, E, C, B6 and B12, glutathione are on top the list. Essential fatty acids like Omega-3 and Omega-6 are also great for our body and skin. Ask your doctor about the right kinds of supplements you should take.
10. Don’t forget your feet. Sometimes, the feet can be taken for granted. Keep your feet smooth by using a foot scrub at least twice a week. Soak your feet in warm water with a foot soak solution to soften the soles and get rid of corns and calluses. After scrubbing and rinsing, don’t forget to apply moisturizer or lotion to keep it soft until the morning. Apply petroleum jelly on your feet each night for a softer, smoother skin.
1. beautiful skin